Tuesday, July 07, 2009

SOLDERING ON!



June's Mixed Media theme for a group swap on our PaperArts group was Microscope Slide Pendants. We only had to make one but I, as usual, got carried away and made four...a couple of which are for some special people....but not telling here 'cos it will spoil the surprise! One was for the swap and the fourth for me, and I intend to make a couple more for my daughters.
The two three inch ones were constructed the copper foil way, using the wavy edged tape and soldered over. I used scrapbooking papers for backgrounds, snippets of lace and small pieces of gold paper doilies. The images are from a Paper Whimsy Collage sheet. I added tiny German Scrap stars to the women's heads and drew veins on the wings with a gold gel pen. Also added the gold gel pen to the children's images.
I added metal/brass corners to the tops and charms to the bottom of each, which I coated with the soldering patina solution to darken.


With the square ones, I used Ranger's two inch square Memory Frames.
The masculine one is covered with plain copper foil tape and soldered. I used scrap booking papers for BGs and added my own text. The male images are from found sources, altered to suit, using party hats from an Artchix Collage sheet, reduced in size, and then drew on the clown face with gel pens.The clown face side is the front. Again, I added metal/brass charms etc. and coated them with the patina solution.
For the feminine one, I used the wavy edge copper foil tape, and added metal/brass charms to the top. It has a found image of Theda Bara on the front and the child image on the back is from a Tuscan Rose Collage sheet. I used Derwent watercolour pencils around the images to give depth and a little dab of pink went onto their cheeks. I used scrapping papers and lace with these also, but as the lace was on both sides, it made the insert too thick to fit into the frames with the two pieces of glass so, after trying to force it in or bend the frame open more...to no avail, the "light" came on and I used a piece of clear acrylic of the back (the child's image side). The only drawback with that was that I had to be SUPER careful with the soldering iron....it would melt if even slightly touched by it, and as it turned out, it also swells a little, which you may be able to see in the photo, but I feel all in all, it turned out OK and it was a good solution to the problem.

33 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooohhhhahhhh... very cool... what do I have to do to be 'special' LOL

christine said...

These are all FANtastic - love them!! I esp. love "misfit" haha! Wonderful art :)

artbeckons said...

Here I was wondering where I could buy those lovely frames and now I read that you MADE them yourself! Beautiful work in every way =)

Cindy McMath said...

These are lovely Barb! Really like the wavy tape look with the solder...Fab job!

Cindy :)

Laura Haviland said...

They are fabulous,just lovely. Wow !!
Hugs, Laura.
Thanks for sharing.

paintedlady89 said...

These are too cute. Love them! Love one!

Gigi

MLBetterly said...

They are all gorgeous, Barb! I love them all! Thanks for sharing how they are made as well! Beautiful pieces!

Linda said...

These are gorgeous...I love how you topped the microscope slides with the photo corners~

Lucy said...

Lovely Barb!!
Looks like you may have your MOJO back.
Hugs Lucy

Creative Sofie said...

WOW, they are really great, i had no idea what you could do with them!!

Rika said...

These are all gorgeous!

Barb said...

thank to all you lovlies that left such nice comments....much appreciated.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Wow, those are Gorgeous Barb! Lurve 'em all!!! :)

Astrid Maclean said...

These are amazing, I completely adore them, you are so clever! The finishing on them is just superb and makes them look really professional. Fantastic work!

Glenda said...

Love them all Barb...
The square ones look grand.
Ohhhh I agree with Bevlea, what do we do to get in the "specials" bin :-)

kelsey said...

These are just simply beautiful Barb...particularly love "Sensual"....Theda Barra has such a wonderful face! Gorgeous!!!

Eliza said...

Barb,

The slides are really great and you said your MOJO was gone, I don't think so.

Love them all and love how you have used the photo corner on them too, what a clever idea.

Barb said...

You are all sooo nice...thanx for your cawments ladies...and Kelsey, thanx for pointing out my mistake ..I have corrected Theda's name now.

artymarty said...

Oooh, Wow
Barb these are gorgeous. Love the extras on the frames.

bockel24 said...

OMG, you´ve been busy, and these are all so wonderful!

creativelenna said...

These are VERY beautiful, Barb. thanks for sharing your link!

peggy gatto said...

Very well done, they look vintage!

Anonymous said...

I luv the pendants. I would love to make some but I don't know how to solder. Is it sometthing I could learn on my own. If so do you know of a book or tutorial.
Thanks
Debbie
debbie_douglas57@yahoo.com

Tami said...

LOVE your artwork, Barb and your blog and am "following" you around-hee hee!!!
Hugs,
Tami

CreativSpirit said...

These are beautiful Barb, love them.

Rob K

Barb said...

Many thanx for your complimentary comments ladies...good for my soul!...LOL
Debbie...Google for tutorials on soldering..you may be able tolearn that way.

k9dancer said...

These are really nice. Now, where can I learn to solder?

Val Foster said...

Oh my....these are SO beautiful. Wowza for sure! Kudos to you for your spectacular art works.

I have yet to even try an solder work, but who knows....maybe someday.

Mary S said...

I'm special Im special!... these are fab barb!

Lady Di said...

Your slide pendants are gorgeous Barb ... sorry I haven't been to visit, but my internet isn't working well at the moment.

Barb said...

Thank you ladies...you are ALL special....vbg

Kate Carvellas said...

Holy moly...these are all wonderful Barb!!! I think you need to make me one! LOL!!! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh my OH MY!!!! I am so glad you stopped by my blog! It led me to Your artwork here it is so amazing! I am so enjoying journeying through your pages and artwork. So much beauty I would love to comment on everyone one but suffice it to say BRAVO!!!! I LOVE IT ALL!

I love making new friends. I am now a blog stalker here and will be back very often!!!!
XXX
Becky