Thursday, September 15, 2011

ANOTHER TYPE OF BIRD

On Tuesday, my new play-mate, Marcia Smith, came to play with me. Actually, there's more chatting done than playing but we both managed to do a wee bit of arting.
Marci managed to make a mountain of paper-clay doll heads and body parts and I began toying around with a half-doll and a wire tea-light candle holder in the shape of a Christmas tree.

Today, I actually got it finished, and she is nothing like I started out to do.
To begin with, she had PINK clothes which clashed with the coppery coloured fabric that I made her "gown" from, so she got a doing over with some alcohol ink. What magic stuff that is!

I was originally going to use a purchased bird nest and sit it into the tea-light candle holder but it didn't look right sitting on top of it, so I wove a nest of copper wire around the holder, glued it in place and then added some shredded paper and feathers before gluing the little mushroom bird on top of it all.

I had the meshy strips in my stash but as they were white, I gave them a dose of alcohol too...ink that is...vbg. Then it still looked like it needed more oomph but I had to think about what to add to her...until I saw the feathers that I had used in the nest were still on my desk...and the light went on!

Of course, she had to have a feather head-dress too. I found some narrow braid to cover the feather ends around her waist but as it was too white, it got a dose of the  ink as well. A blingy flower on the head-dress finished her off just in time to get her photo taken before the sun went down.

12 comments:

bockel24 said...

Thanks for your description of try and error - it really shows how creative you are, and the final result is excellent!

Glenda said...

OMG GF she's gorgeous. Thanks for explanation on the how to.
Hugs..

Barbara DeLisle said...

SHE IS SO WONDERFUL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! She is amazing. Great job!

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer said...

wowsers I've never seen a doll so beautiful with personality as this one. I hope you're very proud of you. Well done!

artbeckons said...

Oh, she's lovely! Beautiful work, Barb.

stampgram said...

She is lovely. I love the little bird nest in her skirt. Super job!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Pooh pretty! I'm working on one that is kind of similar in whites. Don't you love half dolls?

Marcy Smith said...

awesome to see your beautiful lady all created... love the orange LURRRVVVE the feathers!!! The nest came out looking amazing too... the wire makes it! Arent I lucky to have such a CLEVER friend! :)

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

This is lovely and so very creative

SMiles,
Teresa

Suze said...

She is perfect !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic. Thanks, for stopping by my blog and I that a wonderful surprise I got when I came to visit yours. Very inspirational.